VMware Cloud Community
raghul6595
Contributor
Contributor

VM doesn't start question pending

Hi team,

:smileyinfo: we are having issue in ESXi server. it showing question pending.

:smileyinfo: VM having more vmdk files is there any option to delete vmdk which is in not use?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide more details regarding the two topics.

we are having issue in ESXi server. it showing question pending.

If a question is pending, you basically need to answer it in order for the VM to proceed. Answers are usually required in cases where a VM has been manually copied/moved to another location, or if you try to detach a virtual CD from the GUI, but the OS reports that it is still accessing it.

VM having more vmdk files is there any option to delete vmdk which is in not use?

This question needs to be clarified. You should usually never need to delete .vmdk files manually (i.e. from the datastore browser).

Note that file names like <vmname>-00000x.vmdk point to snapshots. Snapshots should only be deleted from the Snapshot Manager.

André

0 Kudos
raghul6595
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

VM is having 850 GB of 1 TB in ESXi but when i take backup and restore it new location it showing 350 GB

There is no more

space for virtual disk

xxxxx_1-000004.vmdk. You might be able

to continue this session by freeing disk space on

the relevant volume, and clicking button.retry.

Click button.abort to terminate this session.

When i click cancel and press answer VM went to powered ON, After some time it showing same question and VM become powered off

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, in this case the datastore ran out of free disk sapce, and you should fix that asap.

The quickest way to find out what's possible, is to enable SSH on the host, and use e.g. putty to connect to it.

Then run ls -elisa > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, download filelist.txt from the datastore, and attach it to a reply post.

In addition to that, attach the VM's .vmsd file to the reply post too.

André

0 Kudos
raghul6595
Contributor
Contributor

Hi team,

What would happen when i click retry button?

There is no more

space for virtual disk

xxxxx_1-000004.vmdk. You might be able

to continue this session by freeing disk space on

the relevant volume, and clicking button.retry.

Click button.abort to terminate this session.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

You need to make space on the datastore that the VM is currently running or move it to a different one with more space.

0 Kudos
raghul6595
Contributor
Contributor

Hi team,

There are many VMDK files are in datastore. any possibility to delete the VMDK000001.vmdk?

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

There is no use in clicking retry button unless you clear up some space in the datastore, when you click retry it will try to poweron and will come to same state with no free space in datastore.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
raghul6595
Contributor
Contributor

can i delete all snapshot? it will remove some spaces

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's why I was asking for some details in my previous post. Deleting snapshots may be an option. However, it's important to check whether this is possible in this specific case.

Do not simply try to delete the snapshots, as this could cause even more serious issues!

André

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

was this machine deployed thinly provisioned?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

can you upload a picture of your directory for the VM in question? Also has this machine got snapshots on it?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos