Questions regarding datastores.

SAN:

Dell EMC SC5020

LUN01 SSD 5TB (92% used)

LUN02 SSD 5TB (80% used)

LUN03 SSD 5TB (80% used)

LUN04 SAS 8TB (40% used)

LUN05 SAS 8TB (60% used)

1. I created a VM on SAS datastore(LUN04) and all vm files show they are created on the LUN, but then when the VM shows SSD datastore(LUN01) added and the LUN doesn't show any files from the VM. Why creating VM adds SSD LUN01 to the VM creation? It seems some kind of data progression setting? Why is this happening exactly?

2. LUN01 seems filling up. If the datastore used as fast disk (data progression). Should I worry about?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sungpillhan2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, folks.

Apparently it was ISO but CD was not mounted, even after restarting, it was still showing. I had to remove CD in order to get rid of the datastore appearing.

thank you, very much.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you mounting an ISO to this VM which resides on LUN01? If so, that's why it's showing there.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area. Not an issue specific to vCenter Server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The Data Progression and the Raid Tiering of the Dell SC is absolutely transparent for the ESXi Hosts and doesnt effect the space usage of your VMFS Datastore.

Q1: As already mentioned above most likely you have assign a ISO to the vCDROM (doesnt need to be active)

Q2: No. For me its not 100% clear if your usage its from a ESXi perspective and related to the VMFS Datastore or the Volume usage on the SC. If its the first please check if you have a VM running on snapshots or using thinprovisoning and seeing unexpecting grow

Btw: Marking a Datastore/LUN as SSD having nothing todo with performance and its only for customer convenience Smiley Wink, especially  with a Hybrid SAN with active Tiering like the SC.  If you have pin point a SC Volume to the (SSD) TIER1 you may can mark it... but again it doesnt matter. Within ESXi its better to use the storage profile and use a naming scheme like Bronze,Silver, Gold....

Regards,
Joerg

sungpillhan2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, folks.

Apparently it was ISO but CD was not mounted, even after restarting, it was still showing. I had to remove CD in order to get rid of the datastore appearing.

thank you, very much.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that would be correct behavior.

0 Kudos