VMware Cloud Community
nettech1
Expert
Expert

VM change stats

Hi,

I need to generate a report of a VM change rate for a specific time windows. Ideally, the report would show a per hour change rate (VMDK changes) for the past week. Is it something I can get out of vCenter or I need a 3rd party tool to extract that info?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

as I understood your needs You want to collect vDisk statistics from a week for VMs. You can achive this by changing Statistics for "1 day" and "1 week" from level 1 to level 2 in vCenter Server Settings.  On Level 2 "Disk – All metrics, excluding numberRead and numberWrite" will be collected.

Data Collection Levels

Use advanced vCenters Performance Charts to view counter of selected VM.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
nettech1
Expert
Expert

Hi vmrale,

Yes, that is correct I have vcenter statistics set to level 2 for 1 day and 1 week. On the same topic if the VM I am looking to get the change rate for is an exchage server, would I see a change spike if data is written to the white space of the exchange database?

Also, wanted to confirm the metric I should be looking at is Write Rate for all disks attached to the VM?

rate.jpg

Thanks

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

if You want to monitor Write Rate for all virtual disks of this VM, select name of this VM in Chart Options>Virtual Disk>Select object for this chart.

On the screenshot You are monitoring ide0 controller. Why did You select ide0:0? Usually VMs are using scsi controllers for vDisks.

Refering to Exchange Server VM. I think You should see any performance chart activity when VM's writing anything to database, but to be sure check Exchange write operations characteristic and how it's using its database in documentation first.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

ide0:0 was the only option for the VM (Scrutinizer Virtual Appliance)

VM configuration, has only one Hard Disk connected to the Paravirtual SCSI controller 0.

Write rate graph for virtual disk is showing ide0, because Virtual Device Node is set to IDE 0. (I guess that's how Plixer exported the ova)

0 Kudos