VMware Cloud Community
GeorgiosK76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Windows 10 (1709 Version) Issue Second display

I have two VM in Windows 10.

One of my VM have been updated to Windows 10 version 1709 and after that Windows cannot detect my second display (SVGA).

My VM settings are well configured under Vmware Esxi 6.0

I check on many forums and many sites and I cannot resolve my problem.

When I Click on Display then Detect, Windows nevers found the second display

many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeorgiosK76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally yesterday evening I was testing another time to uninstall full the VMtools, put the last Vmtools, it was doing nothing nothing.... spending 2/3 hours.

At the end I read this article : www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/windows-10-multi-display-function/index.html

I click on the "ACTION CENTER" Menu which I used it mostly on Laptops... I click on Project then "Extend" ....it was working...

pastedImage_0.png

So so...what can I say? ... is it a bug from display settings in Windows / Vmware driver? Crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

The action "detect" of Windows was not working but the action "connect" was giving me a second screen then in Display setting I could manage my both screen.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

None of the documentation I find on this subject list that Windows 10 is supported - that doesn't mean it's NOT supported, but I can't find anything that explicitly says that it IS.

Have you upgraded your VMware Tools to the latest version?

See: Use Multiple Monitors for One Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
GeorgiosK76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you four assistance.

First of all with the update of each Windows 10 version is changing. the menu/display setting (when Right click).

My first VM is on Windows 10 (win version 1511), the second display is working when doing "try to connect" then "extend desktop".

The Problematic VM is on Windows 10 (Win version 1709) (Full updates windows done) and I can't get / detect the second display.

1 I have tried one time to :

1. uninstall VM tools
  2. reinstall vm tools from my  Vmware server

nothing, no 2nd display detected

2 I try after that :

1. Uninstall vmtols (reboot)
  2. Install last vmtools https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1020&productId=614Version 10.2.0

nothing, no 2nd display detected

3 I try also to install a new Windows 10 (blank install) VM from the last Microsoft Windows 10 ISO v. 1709, I configure my vm for 2 display with 15 mo (memory video). Nothing....

It's very strange...should I update my Vmware server?!! Smiley SadSmiley Happy Smiley Sad

thank you

0 Kudos
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 1709 update to the primary control mechanism for the Display - If I remember correctly (IIRC), Microsoft swapped a bunch of controls (including Display) from the old, wonderful Control Panel to the new I-Don't-Know-What-To-Call-It but lesser "System" menu.

2 Things come to mind:

1) Have you cross-checked the driver versions for the video card in Windows? 1709 might be using an updated driver, which isn't meant for VMware's dual monitors (or that vmtools doesn't yet recognize) and you could potentially rollback the driver to whatever one 1511 is using.

2) Have you tried to go through old Control Panel and it's video options to see if any tweaking there will make Windows behave properly?

0 Kudos
GeorgiosK76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

-Old menu could not be reach, I try also with a special command to open the old menu for the Display but it's opening the same menu.

If you have any idea to access it, pls feel free to tell me

roll back also do nothing...

- Regarding the driver currently used is the  Svga driver from Vmtools, when I uninstall vmtools it shows "microsoft display driver"

0 Kudos
GeorgiosK76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally yesterday evening I was testing another time to uninstall full the VMtools, put the last Vmtools, it was doing nothing nothing.... spending 2/3 hours.

At the end I read this article : www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/windows-10-multi-display-function/index.html

I click on the "ACTION CENTER" Menu which I used it mostly on Laptops... I click on Project then "Extend" ....it was working...

pastedImage_0.png

So so...what can I say? ... is it a bug from display settings in Windows / Vmware driver? Crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

The action "detect" of Windows was not working but the action "connect" was giving me a second screen then in Display setting I could manage my both screen.