VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VM-VM Affinity rule

setup 2 VMs so that they always should reside on the same host, however I tested by doing a vMotion of one of these VMs and to my surprise it worked without any warning.

Is there anything else that needs to be in place for VM-VM Affinity rules to be enforced such as DRS (which is disabled in my case, in which case I still want to enforce this affinity such as when VM's are restarted on another host by HA or to protect against human error)?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hmmmm?

You have to enable DRS if you like to use DRS rules. DRS checks every 5min.

About HA and DRS there are some changes under the hood. HA can follow DRS affinity rules since 6.0. But in 6.5 the config options are removed from the WebClient (dont ask why) and you have to use Adv. Settings to change the behaviour on the cluster. But IIRC these settings are now enabled by default.

Take a look to VMware Technical Partner Roundtable: Where’s the HA enforce VM-Host and Affinity rules option in vSp...

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok strange that you do not get any warning when you enable VM-VM Affinity rules with DRS disabled?

This made me thought that the above Affinity rule is active, so this means there is no other way of enforcing that VM-A always resides on together with VM-B unless DRS is enabled?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Its of course funny.

In the old C# Client the part with the rules are only available when you enabled DRS. In the WebClient it is a completly independent part.  Same as configure the non default for HA,DRS,... settings of every single VM.

Just enable DRS and set it to full automatic and remove all VMs from the non deault list.  DRS checks every 5min until you press the button for run now. If you start a VM which is covered by a  DRS Rule this setting will take effectiv immediately.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos