VMware Cloud Community
Lvn93
Contributor
Contributor

VM Provisioned Storage

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is exactly shown in "Provisioned Storage" under VM summery tab,

pastedImage_1.png

My question was if I create a VM with 335 GB, why it shows as 367.13 GB in summery tab as shown above (Iam using vSphere 5.5),

If I check the VM Edit settings => Hard disk it shows the correct provisioned storage value as below,

pastedImage_2.png

So if I generate a VM inventory list it also shows that the VM provisioned storage was 367.13 GB which is wrong.

Can anyone explain me on this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Whether VM contains any snapshots? Check from VM settings for disk ends with -00000x.vmdk?

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Lvn93

Provision storage = VM Storage + VM RAM size

In your case, your VM has storage of 335GB and 32 GB of RAM

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
Lvn93
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rajen450m,

Thank you for your response and that calculation was perfectly matching, now I got the idea.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lvn93
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No it doesn't have any snapshots.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So make sure, while you calculate Datastore Size to provision VMs. You should include RAM size in mind (If swap size is saved with VM).

Since each VM will have a swap file size of RAM (except reservation set VMs), your VM provisioning will as I said above.

Most of the time, new VMware users will try to create VMs of total size of datastore and will miss including swap file size to it..

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos