VMware Cloud Community
bahizi
Contributor
Contributor

VM Migration from vcenter 5.5 to 6.5

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to migrate more than 2000 vms from vcenter 5.5 to 6.5 and I would to get some help here if it's possible to have a script

which.

Like first

Source :shutdown the vms, unregister and remove from inventory and not delete...

Destination : Register vm, add to inventory connect to network and schedule VM compatibility upgrade

Targeting the source/destination cluster or folder that contains vms, keep same vlan, determine the port group type (standard or distributed).

Destination part, before starting vms, connect network and if possible update

• Active Connection to both Source and Destination vCenters
  • Source vCenter
  • VM
  • VM’s Network Adapter/s
  • Destination vCenter
  • Destination ESXi Host
  • Destination Datastore
  • Destination PortGroup/s

Many thanks

Patrick

6 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Any specific reason for not using full-fledged VCSA 6.5 Upgrade process ?

0 Kudos
bahizi
Contributor
Contributor

No specific reason actually, we have several site all over Europe and Asia and each of these sites are different... we're about to do it manually then I decided to go a script

Any help will be appreciated 

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok, As per my understanding this shouldn't go in single shot or with single script and you may have to divide this task in multiple tasks/scripts. A similar thread is there VMware PowerCLI Forum - VMware {code}  or LucD​ can help you this.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you have no truly specific reason, my recommendation would be to use the vCSA migrator utility built into the vCSA installer. Because otherwise, with that number of VMs, you're really setting yourself up for hardship--even if you attempt to script it, because there will undoubtedly be cases where you have to manually intervene. Plus, you'll need to keep all these caveats in mind that I outline in my article. This isn't a trivial task that you're setting yourself up for, so do it with a purpose in mind and not "just because."

bahizi
Contributor
Contributor

Well thank you the reply, first I would like to try with 200 servers on the same subnet, same datastore, storage etc and see how it goes...

0 Kudos
bahizi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Vijay for quick reply, I'll start with 200 servers running on the same network, datastore and storage

I'm checking Luc's script...