VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Migration Between two cluster

Hi Guys

I am in the process of migrating VM from clusterA to ClusterB , Both cluster can see the same datastore , so what I have been doing so far with no problem is:

1) Power off the VM in clusterA

2) remove from inventory in clusterA

3) register VM in clusterB

4) Power ON VM (making sure Vlan is the same)

Here is my question, this has worked with no problem with VM with one Hard drive, what should be the process if the VM has TWO (2)drives, will the register vmx in clusterB bring the two Hard drives over ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

First, if both Cluster managed by the same vCenter Instance than you dont need to unregister the VM. If EVC mode is the same for both Clusters than vMotion or Cold Migration can be used.

But i assumed that different vCenters are involved right?

- A VM unregister and register doesnt move anything around. It doesnt make a difference if the VM has one or more vDisks.

- But.. if you spread VM vDisks over multible Datastore you have to ensure that the new Cluster(ESX Host) see all of them and also use the same GUID for it because the vDisk are referenced with an absolute file path (only true for the vDisks outside the VM Homedirectory) within the *.vmx

About the network. If you use a vSS than the Portgroup is identify about their name. So ensure that the PG Name is the same.  If you use a vDS than you have to reconfigure the VM Network and select the right/new vDS again because the PG IDs doesnt match anymore.

Regards,

Joerg

HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Answering your question, yes no problem to Unregister/Register VM with different disks. it will work properly and bring the all disks.

But as note, within the same cluster you can benefit from the vMotion/svMotion.

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IRI

Thanks for jumping in

YES they are two different Vcenter with the same datastores

Thanks

0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hassan

Thanks a bunch for jumping in, the vmdks are on the same folder same datastore, so I will try to do this and hope it does not brake anything.

Thanks again guys

0 Kudos