VMware Cloud Community
zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Hot migration from ESXi Host 5.5 to ESXi 6.5

i have a request to upgrade ESXi host that is currently a 2 host cluster. this cluster is managed via vCenter 6.5 and the hosts are currently running 5.5. i need to upgrade both host and the customer would like to not have any downtime during the upgrade if possible. my question is, can i load all VM's onto one host, upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5 then migrate all VM's off the 5.5 host to the 6.5 host without powering them down. will the vm hardware allow me to hot migrate a vm from a 5.5 host to a 6.5

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're licensed for vMotion, if there's proper connectivity, and if there are no hardware or virtual hardware blockers, sure.

0 Kudos
zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

will i have to enable EVC mode?

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If they are migrating now under version 5.5 then NO

Anyways enabling EVC might require all the VMs to be powered off. But in this case you do not need it.

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Do the hosts have the same CPU generations?

0 Kudos
zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ya they currently migrate just fine and it will be on the same 2 host. they will just be upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5. i didnt know if the hardware capability would allow it. i know once the virtual hardware is upgraded i wont be able to migrate down to a host running 5.5

0 Kudos
yosingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please check what is the current hardware version.

I think below compatibility list can help you to understand the current supported VM h/w version for 5.5 to 6.5.

pastedImage_0.png

Virtual Machine Compatibility

pastedImage_1.png

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2007240

0 Kudos