VMware Cloud Community
kalsam
Contributor
Contributor

VM File server Backup

Dear Community Members,

I have a Server 2012 VM Based File Server which i need to move to a New vSphere environment. Can someone please recommend the best possible way for that.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@kalsam 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions - migration is a different topic from backup & recovery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@kalsam 

Please give more details about the current vSphere environment and the new vSphere environment - what are the versions?

Does the VM use any RDMs or only regular virtual disks?

Is there any common datastore between a host in the current environment and the new environment? If not, could there be?

What level of downtime can you tolerate for the file server?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
kalsam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your quick response.

what are the versions?

From 5.5 to 6.7 Environment

Does the VM use any RDMs or only regular virtual disks?

Regular Virtual Disks only

Is there any common data store between a host in the current environment and the new environment? If not, could there be?

No common Data store, 6.7 Environment is on totally different location, its on Cisco Hyper Flex. 

What level of downtime can you tolerate for the file server?

10-15 Hours

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@kalsam 

What is the used space in each of the virtual disks?

What connectivity do you have between the locations?

0 Kudos
kaleemullahBila
Contributor
Contributor

Can i have your reply on this

0 Kudos
kaleemullahBila
Contributor
Contributor

What is the used space in each of the virtual disks?

3 TB

What connectivity do you have between the locations?

No connectivity in between, i will move the VM on External Drive, then to the new Environment

0 Kudos