VMware Cloud Community
Yousufkhan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Disk Size Issue

One of our VM Storage Usage shows 487.92 and attached with one one hard disk size 425GB.

I am wondering to increase the size but when i look in Guest OS it shows below. All drives still have the enough space. So should increased the disk or no?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> One of our VM Storage Usage shows 487.92 and attached with one one hard disk size 425GB.
That looks like this VM has one or more snapshots. Check with Datastorebrowser wether there are files named name-00000*.vmdk.
If the Snapshotmanager does not display any snapshots this does not necessarily means that there are no snapshots !!!
So dont trust the Snapshotmanager  - that guy only works if there are no errors in the vmsd-file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> One of our VM Storage Usage shows 487.92 and attached with one one hard disk size 425GB.
That looks like this VM has one or more snapshots. Check with Datastorebrowser wether there are files named name-00000*.vmdk.
If the Snapshotmanager does not display any snapshots this does not necessarily means that there are no snapshots !!!
So dont trust the Snapshotmanager  - that guy only works if there are no errors in the vmsd-file.

0 Kudos
Yousufkhan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked Snapshot manager does not display any snapshots.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please read my last reply ...
Check with Datastorebrowser - Snapshotmanager may be wrong.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

VM Storage Usage is Hard Disk Size+RAM assigned to VM, in your case it may be 425 Hard disk + 64GB RAM.

Disk shows enough free space only, it is up to you to increase if you need more data on drive.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
Yousufkhan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes there is a 000001.vmdk and 00000-ctk.vmdk

How i removed it?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

In order to remove them, try to do "disk consolidation".

Right click on the VM and go to snapshots and click "Consolidate", this should delete the snapshot.

If it still exists, create another snapshot and "delete all snapshots"

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos