VMware Cloud Community
WhiteheadK
Contributor
Contributor

VDS Functionality Mystery

My goal is to have a single VDS that spans 4 ESXis hosts with multiple portgroups assigned to the VDS for traffic segregation.

I have gone through the process of creating the VDS per many VMware docs.  Once the VDS was created I then added several port groups to the VDS.

I have a group of 20 VMs that are located on 3-4 of the hosts which are included in the VDS.  

The 20 VMs have a single NIC that has been assigned to the specific port group in their settings.

All 20 VMs have been configured in their local OS to be on the same subnet.  There are no firewalls running etc on the local OS of the VMs.

Why am I not able to ping from any of the VMs that do not exist on the same host?  My understanding is thats the whole purpose in creating a VDS.

Someone suggested that I must us VLAN tagging to get this to work, but why would that be needed isnt the VDS config providing the connectivity for any VMs in the VDS port groups??

I have been struggling with this too long and just cannot find a solution.  Any feedback or suggested reference materials would be SO appreciated!

0 Kudos
0 Replies