VMware Cloud Community
Sasch912
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter VSCA 6.5 - ESX Host disconnected for several months

Hi,

we are running a VCSA 6.5 with some ESX hosts.

Unfortunately one 6.5 host has been disconnect for several months now.
Now I am not sure what to do.
There is one very important VM running on that host

When I choose "Reconnect" I get following message:
"Reconnecting a host will override any resource management changes that were made directly on the host while it was disconnected. To keep these changes, remove host from the inventory and add it again."

I cannot remember having changed anything on the host directly, but are not sure...
But what are "ressource management changes" exactly?
I have read that removing the host from the inventory (it will not remove the VM from the hos, will it?) while it is dosconnected is not a good idea, either (because of the agent).

So, waht what would you recommend to do:

1. Reconnect the host from within the VCenter

2. Disconnect the host and reconnect it

3. some other magic.

Thanks in advance!

kind regards

/sasch912

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

What kind of switch have you configured?

If you have distributed switch, removing the host from inventory is not recommended, only if you want to reinstall it.

-In case of distributed switch, and the VM is on a shared datastore (save the name)accessible from another hosts in the vcenter, you can login to the esxi host, power off the vm and remove it from the inventory. Then this vm could be added to the vcenter's inventory, directly from the datastore. Just browse the datastore, choose the VM's folder and click on the vmx file and select add to inventory.

-In case of standard switch, you can safely remove the host and add it back, however reconnect the host will have the same result (if you sure in nothing was changed on the host outside of the vcenter). Or you can perform the VM removal/re-add process i have mentioned before.

If none of the options fits for your environment, or you need more helps, just give some details.

Cheers,

Blog: vxprt.hu
Sasch912
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thank you very much for the answer!
We are not using Distributed Switches.

my preferred option would be to simply reconnect the host.
But what could go wrong assumed I had changed something (for example added a NIC to the VM i.e.)

Thank you

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The error message in your initial message is talking about resources which could be memory or cpu (eg. resource pool) or maybe cluster configuration, but not network (with standard switch). If you don't have resource pool configured you can safely ignore this message.

One thing may help you. You could try to restart the vpxa service, which is the vCenter Server agent on the esxi host.

Or you can just simply reconnect the host.

Blog: vxprt.hu
0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you do not have DVS, you can simply reconnect and try 

if it is not happening again you disconnect and connect the host again,VMs will not be going to affecting any downtime 

0 Kudos