VMware Cloud Community
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VCSA installation stuck at 80%

Anyone faced this issue ? This was while when many of us were struggling with this including me but didn't find valid resolution.

ESXI host in licensed.

Tried with separate PSC and embedded as well.

DNS settings are in place.

pastedImage_0.png

25 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For how long did you wait so far? This step may take some time.

André

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Check NTP. You must have a valid internal NTP server for installation to succeed, and three sources must be pointed at the same NTP with their times sychronized: workstation where running installer; target ESXi host; and vCSA during installation process. Check all these points. If you're still getting a failure, please show screenshots of your installation process including all values in all stages.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It taking 5 hours to produce error.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's probably an NTP issue or using wrong values during the installer wizard. Check previous post and if you can paste screenshots.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe its NTP, I need to check for that. Values are correct as it won't allow to proceed if I put wrong values there. Thanks for the hint, I will check for NTP and revert back.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There are some values it will allow you to input and still proceed, for example the system name should not be an IP address (as some people seem to think) but a FQDN.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So I pointed ESXI and installer workstation to same NTP source, how to point VCSA to this NTP when it is in installation state.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You'll have to redeploy.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I found the issue is with esxi host AD integration, checking this.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So its stuck at 80%, anyhow I managed to deploy it via tweak (installed on VMware Workstation and exported as OVA which I imported on ESXI). Now I can't find information how to install open-vm-tools on VMware photon. This would have installed by default if I installed it on ESXI host but I made a tweak so its not working.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Vijay, what is it you're doing here, exactly, and on what environment type? Can you please be explicit in describing your environment and circumstances? These types of installation issues only occur in a few circumstances, and it sounds like something is fundamentally wrong here. Unless you can fully describe your situation it's hard to know more to help.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My Ravello lab washed up which had Windows based vCenter so building new vCenter as VCSA, no need to worry as its lab Smiley Happy In Ravello I am trying to deploy VCSA as a Ravello VM (not VM on esxi host) since VCSA ISO won't work to boot on ravello so deploying it first on ESXI/Workstation so I can export from here and import as OVF at ravello. This is the way on ravello kb how to deploy VCSA as separate VM and not on ESXI.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Oook. So you are definitely doing something weird Smiley Happy

Installation on Workstation shouldn't be much different, but you still need to ensure you have proper time keeping and using the proper values during installation and have forward and reverse DNS. Something else I've seen which causes hangups is when people try and drastically crank down on the VM's configuration. Leave the defaults at Tiny for the embedded model and see if it works. If it does, then you can try to reduce the vRAM if you must, but it usually won't work under about 8 GB.

If you've still having troubles deploying in Workstation, provide specifics (screenshots welcome) and let's see where it's falling down.

trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I had exactly the same issue with this error message in log file (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\vcsaUiInstaller 😞

- debug: initiateFileTransferFromGuest error: ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

- debug: Failed to get fileTransferInfo:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

- debug: Failed to get url of file in guest vm:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

- debug: [1]pollRpmInstallProgress:getGuestFileErr:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

To solve it, I launched the Management Console from VCSA (F2 Customize system) and reset VCSA appliance root password with the same one given during installation process.

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it is NTP related try opening port 123 from the PC which deploys the VCSA and the NTP servers you set for the VCSA during installation.

0 Kudos
MORENOHA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I try mount my Lab in Ravello too, but I install ESX by .iso in VM ravello, and then, in other VM install and Windows Server 2012 inside in DNS server, and deploy VCSA, but this VCSA depend on ESX, and during installation asign IP ESX where VCSA will be work, but stuck at 80% in stage 1 installation later time out and fail it.

how are you doing? You at first mount VMworkstation inside Server Windows, deploy ESX and deploy VCSA inside this ESX, at the end, you export this VCSA VM and deploy in new VM ravello????

0 Kudos
NRay
Contributor
Contributor

Found a KB with the same log entries.

Please check the KB for more detail: failed to get filetransferinfo:serverfaultcode: failed to authenticate with the guest operating syst...

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

It happened with me as well. It turns out to tbe the license on the ESX I was installing to (free one, it was for a lab). vCenter can´t be installed on a free ESXi - must be trial or licensed ESXi.

Marcelo Soares
makpaki
Contributor
Contributor

quel est le mot de passe donner au départ ou comment réinitialisez le mot de passe

0 Kudos