VMware Cloud Community
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

VCSA Trashed

A few weeks back, upgraded to VCSA 8.0 U2a, and I do have file based backups running every night.  I had an unexpected shutdown of my NAS the other night, and afterwards the VCSA services would not start with the error below:

Error executing start on service applmgmt. Details {
"detail": [
{
"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",
"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",
"args": [
"applmgmt"
],
"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'applmgmt'"
}
],
"componentKey": null,
"problemId": null,
"resolution": null
}
Service-control failed. Error: {
"detail": [
{
"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",
"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",
"args": [
"applmgmt"
],
"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'applmgmt'"
}
],
"componentKey": null,
"problemId": null,
"resolution": null
}

I get this with just about all services when I try to start it up.

Now, I figure "heck, I got's backups, no worries" so I deleted the VCSA VM and deployed a new one, restoring from backups.  Well, the restore never completes because the services won't start with the same error above.  I have tried several different backups and they all have the same issue. 

Of course, I also have to "tweak" the partition sizes to even get the restore going because a couple of partitions are way bigger than they should be and I guess this is an artifact of having upgraded from VCSA 6.7 through to 7 then to 8.  I plan to fix this by migrating to a new appliance once I get things up and going again, but can't get to that point.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on?  This is my lab, but this is a pre-test for work so if I can't get a restore to function then I need to figure out if I will upgrade my VCSA 7.0 U3p to 8 or not, or if this is truly a bug with 8 U2a that is fixed in later versions.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
markey165
Expert
Expert

@Tibmeister - Have you checked the partition state when this is happening? Eg login via SSH and run df -h to check usage, and make sure none of the partitions are full? 

Expert
Expert

One of the first things I did.  Outside of / everything's under 5% utilized.  I really don't want to have to rebuild a new vCenter and go through all the tweaking...

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I guess a brand new rebuild is in order, which does not bode well for needing to do this in my production environment.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Brand new vCenter, up for 24 hours, had a iSCSI blip, and trashed.  This was a brand new built 8.0 u2b deployment, so what gives, has vCenter really become such a sensitive flower?  If so then we need to be able to run it bare metal because things happen with storage that is not 100% local.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Several reboots and the VCSA came back to life.  Very strange indeed.

0 Kudos