VMware Cloud Community
cyrus104
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCSA 7 connectivity issues with vSAN and vSphere HA

I have 3x identical Supermicro machines each with 8c/16t, 64GB ram, 512GB ESXi Drive, 1TB NVME Cache Drive, 6.4TB NVME Capacity drive. The is a very simple setup for my homelab on 1 switch with 2 VLANs.

I just installed esxi 7 on all three machines with the management interface in a vlan. It pulls the proper IP address from the static DHCP server.

I then installed VCSA 7 from the UI installer on windows.

I turned on vMotion and vSAN, I added the 2x other hosts to make it so all three are online. I set static address on a new vnic for vMotion and vSAN.

After the system was running fairly stable for a few hours I went to create a new vm and the VCSA interface seems slow.

As you can see it looks like there was an attempt to migrate the VCSA vm and failed but I don't know why.

pastedImage_0.png

Please let me know where to pull more logs that would help to troubleshoot this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cyrus104
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to fill out more details as I come across them.

Host 1 message:  vSphere HA agent for this host has an error: The vSphere HA agent is not reachable from vCenter Server 

All hosts have the saem looking network settings:

pastedImage_0.png

vmk0 is listed for management, it's on my main vlan that is for all servers

vmk1 is liked for vMotion and vSAN it's on a storage vlan (I think I figured out how to put a DSwitch in a vlan).

While the DSwitch-vSAN has DHCP, all hosts are hardcoded to match the management vlan number scheme.

I realized that the vSAN and vMOTION vmk1 was set to 1500MTU and my 10G switch supports 9000 MTU jumbo frame. My VCSA freezes for 5-10 minutes when I went to make the change by editing vmk1 to make it 9000 MTU. VCSA and all of my traffic is on vmk0 so why would VCSA hang for so long?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

I was recently running Proxmox with Ceph for a similar Hyper-converged solution on this network for learning purposes and I never ran into a problem like this. With all drives being NVME the solution was really really fast, I'm just not sure what I have wrong with vSphere to have these kinds of troubles after just installing it.

0 Kudos