VMware Cloud Community
vcptobe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using VUM in Health Care\Hospitals

Are there any best guidelines for using VMware Update Manager in hospitals?

Have contracted in a few now and always notice that both VMware tools and hardware versions never get updated

Is there any best plan to use for these kind of organisations?

Would be great to hear from someone who has carried this out in a hands on role?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There's not a VUM configuration, usage, or practice that's specific to hospitals versus other industries. It's just about how you do things in your org. When I've deployed this for healthcare there's nothing special I've done. I tend not to use VUM to remediate VMs of any kind, only hosts/clusters.

0 Kudos
vcptobe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Daphne how did you organise virtual machines, little to no maintenance window here i know once machines are 5.5 and above with 2012R2, its easier to update etc, would be interested to hear your views on this?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How did I organize VMs? Like into vSphere folders? Customer needs to understand there will be certain maintenance windows required for some operations. Updating VMtools will still require reboots in some circumstances, for example.

vcptobe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks I guess there is no real magic to it but as you say organisation, i have noticed this with a few hospitals, they're way off in terms of maintenance and patching

0 Kudos