VMware Cloud Community
jcurtiss7492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Snapshot while upgrading SQL Server 2016 instance

I need to upgrade SQL Server 2016 SP1 to SP2.  I wanted to know if I can use the Snapshot feature to first create a snapshot of the server before the upgrade with the option to revert back to SP1 if there is an issue during the SP2 update?  I have seen both Yes and No answers given on other, different forums.  The issue as I understand is that the snapshot needs to be VSS-enabled.

Of course, I will have my VM backup from Veeam, and the database files from a nightly SQL Backup job in case also.  But it sounds like an easy solution to use the snapshot.

Can any SQL admins let me know if using the snapshot like this is supported?  What do you do for SQL Server upgrades?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes - exactly these steps. the advance of taking snapshots from a powered down machine is that the snapshot is definitively consistent. it is a little bit more work to do but safe.

if you must revert power down is not necessary because it is also reverted to the last state - that means a powered down machine.

but i hope you only have to delete the snapshot and all goes fine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you want to be sure the snapshot is consistent stop the sql services an then take the snapshot.

or you shutdown the complete server and snapshot

0 Kudos
jcurtiss7492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply berndweyand!  I don't mean to be slow, but just so I understand, I can use this as my procedure:

1. Power off SQL server w/ SP1

2. Create a snapshot

3. Power on SQL server

4. Upgrade to SP2

If all is well, get rid of the snapshot and go on with my life.

But if I have to revert:

1. Power off SQL server

2. Revert back to snapshot

3. Power on SQL server back to SP1 before trying upgrade

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes - exactly these steps. the advance of taking snapshots from a powered down machine is that the snapshot is definitively consistent. it is a little bit more work to do but safe.

if you must revert power down is not necessary because it is also reverted to the last state - that means a powered down machine.

but i hope you only have to delete the snapshot and all goes fine

0 Kudos