VMware Cloud Community
jbaird
Contributor
Contributor

Using LBT with LAG/LACP?

Is it possible to use LBT over a LACP bundle?

If so, are there any advantages/disadvantages?  Using LACP simplifies switch configuration, so I would like to use it as well - but I want to make sure load can be distributed for things like VM and vMotion traffic.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

LACP and LBT and two different approaches to a similarly-hopeful result. As such, they are really mutually exclusive. When creating a LAG, one bonds one or more uplinks into a logical bundle. The LAG algorithm handles distribution of traffic amongst the links. LBT does so similarly although in a more intelligent way and without the need for any upstream switch configuration. So if you use LACP, there's no point in using LBT. When using vSphere, there is a debate between use of the two. Networking guys usually want LACP because it gives them control over the networking aspect and may simplify switch configuration. But LBT is, at least in my opinion, the better choice in a vSphere environment because, unlike LACP, it has the ability to load balance the links in a more even fashion because the algorithm looks at physical link saturation levels, something that LACP does not. While LACP distributes load with the hopes of it being equal (it is almost never), LBT has more intelligence built in to the point where, if any link becomes more than 75% saturated, it will move traffic over to another link, effectively balancing (not distributing) load.

0 Kudos
jbaird
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the explanation!  It sounds like that while LBT won't do any balancing until one physical interface is > 75%, LACP at least has the chance to do some balancing before this point.  This of course depends on the algo that is used for the LACP bundle.  I believe it's important to pick the correct algo based on the type of traffic that will be flowing across the link in order to achieve the most optimal balancing.  I guess I need to do some research!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's important to note the difference between "balancing" and "distributing" because they're aren't the same. Up until the 75% saturation point, both LBT and LACP will "distribute" load across available paths, and both use algorithms to do so. Picking the type of algorithm used is important, yes, but ultimately LACP will not have the capability to more evenly distribute load when the physical links actually need it most--when they become saturated. So again, if using vSphere, the recommendation is to use LBT if you have a vDS entitlement as it requires no special switch configuration upstream.

0 Kudos