VMware Cloud Community
Frihu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading operating system on vSphere

Hello there,

First of all I should mentioned that I am not very familiar with VSphere Smiley Wink

I have virtual machine which is running normal Windows Server 2008. Right now I am looking forward to upgrade that virtual machine to Windows Server 2016/2019.

I would like to keep services and software from current one and use them on new virtual machine with new OS.

Could you share with me some KB or write which steps should I do to do it in proper way?

As far I know I should create new virtual machine with OS which I need and install it from scratch.

How to move data/services/software which is running there to another virtual machine? Is it possible or I should configure from the beginning whole VM?

Many thanks for feedback,

BR

Christian.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it's not possible. You basically have two options:

1. Perform in-place upgrade of Windows Server to the target OS.
  2. Deploy a net new VM and manually migrate data and configuration. There is no shortcut here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

You need to create another virtual machine.

Which are data/services/software which running that VM?

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
Frihu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for reply, I know that I should create another virtual machine with Windows Server 2016, but how to migrate services from old one to another?

Simple: I would like to copy paste configuration with installed software to another new virtual machine with different OS Smiley Happy

e.g. VEEAM backup or NFS sharing.

I just would like to avoid again configuration and installation of software and set up services...

Is it possible ? Or better to configure them from beginning manually?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, it's not possible. You basically have two options:

1. Perform in-place upgrade of Windows Server to the target OS.
  2. Deploy a net new VM and manually migrate data and configuration. There is no shortcut here.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator note: Please post product questions to the appropriate forum area. Thread moved to vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos