VMware Cloud Community
laferrariaperta
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading Dell Servers from ESXi 6.0 U2,U3 and vCenter 6.0 U3 to 6.7 U1

Hey guys,

I am working on my first vSphere upgrade process. I am planning on upgrading vCenter first to 6.7 U1 then using the vSphere Upgrade Manger to update the backup host we have. Then using the update manager to update the 2 production hosts. Backups are being done of the VMs. These are 3 Dell servers, 2 are the same, and the backup server is a bit earlier model. I am planning on getting the vCenter ISO from vmware and then Dell specific ISOs from dell for 6.7 U1. I can move all production VMs to a single host and I can turn off the backup server. The servers are using SSO.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert

Hi laferrariaperta

First you need to check VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi laferrariaperta,

Also take a look at the upgrade sequence as documented here : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/53710

This is especially important if you are using any other VMware products to make sure you can upgrade all of them. Also pay careful intention if you are using an external PSC as you will need to upgrade that before you do the vCenter upgrade.

Kind regards.

laferrariaperta
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did that and I am good to go.

0 Kudos
laferrariaperta
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks that is good to know I didn't know about the sequence. Thanks! It looks like the vCenter server is just that one box so hopefully this will be pretty easy. Guess I will update vCenter, ESXi, then VMware Tools.

0 Kudos