VMware Cloud Community
visna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from vSphere 6.0 to last update

Hello guys,

I've an first version of vSphere essential 6.0 from HPE custom image, installed on Proliant ML350 G8 ,  and I would like to fix it upgrading to last cumulative update (for example VMware ESXi 6.0 U3a Custom HPE), in your opinion is the best practices for upgrading booting from CD ?  Obviously I will take a backup of VMs before.

Have you some tips or advice?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There are several ways:

- boot from latest ISO, upgrade and keep VMFS volumes

- upload depot.zip file for that ISO to a datastore and use esxcli software vib update to install it

- use Update Manager (if you have a vCenter+Update Manager running somewhere else (and added the HPE repositories)

In July HPE had a firmware/driver combo that killed certain 10 GbE NICs... make sure you don't use that one (I think QLogic NICs were affected by this... google should find it)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There are several ways:

- boot from latest ISO, upgrade and keep VMFS volumes

- upload depot.zip file for that ISO to a datastore and use esxcli software vib update to install it

- use Update Manager (if you have a vCenter+Update Manager running somewhere else (and added the HPE repositories)

In July HPE had a firmware/driver combo that killed certain 10 GbE NICs... make sure you don't use that one (I think QLogic NICs were affected by this... google should find it)

0 Kudos