VMware Cloud Community
scherian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade from Esxi 6.5 U1 to 6.7

I am running the free version of Esxi - no v-center,.. and would like to upgrade from 6.5 U1 to 6.7.

I was going to follow these instructions.. if anyone can tell me it is right, i would appreciate it - the cli upgrade method...

https://miketabor.com/how-to-upgrade-esxi-6-5-to-esxi-6-7/

if there are better instructions to follow- i would appreciate knowing where to get them. Also for doing backups (which is suggested in many articles) - should i consider purchasing v-sphere essentials at some point?..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Be careful with the hardware compatibility, maybe your hardware is supported for 6.5 but not for 6.7

Check it with : VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

To answer to your needs i would do the following things :

1) Backup your ESXi configuration using vSphere CLI : vicfg-cfgbackup --server=ESXi_host_IP_address --username=root -s output_file_name

Using PowerCLI (remote) : Get-VMHostFirmware -VMHost ESXi_host_IP_address -BackupConfiguration -DestinationPath output_directory

2) If you run ESXi on server, i'd use the Custom Image from manufacturer

Here's for Dell 6.7U2 : VMware ESXi 6.7 U2 | Détails sur le pilote | Dell France

Here's for HPE 6.7U2 check out this link : http://vibsdepot.hpe.com/mapping/SPP-HPE_Custom-Image-vibsdepot-mapping-Gen9-later.pdf

Else, just get the current ESXi 6.7 from VMWare Téléchargez VMware vSphere

3) Stop all your VMs before doing anything (and if you can, do a backup if you're not confident Smiley Wink )

4) Copy the .zip freshly downloaded with WinSCP to your ESXi in /update/ for example (you can create a new folder called update)

5) Connect to the ESXi with CLI (locally) or PowerCLI (remotely) and use the following command to update (like offline update) :

Example : "esxcli software vib update -d /update/Your_ZIP.zip"

Then reboot

6) Once the ESXi is rebooted, check the version with the command : "vmware -v" , it will give you the running version and build.

7) Boot your VM as usual Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

There are three method of ESXi upgrade procedure and in your situation you can use two of them:

1. Use vSphere Update Manager to upgrade your host and as you said because there is no vCenter, you cannot use this way.

2. Put source of appropriated ESXi source into the CD/DVD-Rom of your physical server, go to installation process and then when the wizard detect there is another ESXi in the server, choose first option: Upgrade and  preserve VMFS datastore (to keep your machines). Then restart the server and your host is upgraded.

3. Copy source of ESXi ISO in your host file system in an specified path. If you are no so familiar with Linux file system, you can put them in one of datastore, Their path is here: /vmfs/volumes/ [datastore_name] / ....

Then in the shell access or SSH connection type following command:

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore_name/___ISO___/ESXi.iso

I hope it can be helpful for you

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Be careful with the hardware compatibility, maybe your hardware is supported for 6.5 but not for 6.7

Check it with : VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

To answer to your needs i would do the following things :

1) Backup your ESXi configuration using vSphere CLI : vicfg-cfgbackup --server=ESXi_host_IP_address --username=root -s output_file_name

Using PowerCLI (remote) : Get-VMHostFirmware -VMHost ESXi_host_IP_address -BackupConfiguration -DestinationPath output_directory

2) If you run ESXi on server, i'd use the Custom Image from manufacturer

Here's for Dell 6.7U2 : VMware ESXi 6.7 U2 | Détails sur le pilote | Dell France

Here's for HPE 6.7U2 check out this link : http://vibsdepot.hpe.com/mapping/SPP-HPE_Custom-Image-vibsdepot-mapping-Gen9-later.pdf

Else, just get the current ESXi 6.7 from VMWare Téléchargez VMware vSphere

3) Stop all your VMs before doing anything (and if you can, do a backup if you're not confident Smiley Wink )

4) Copy the .zip freshly downloaded with WinSCP to your ESXi in /update/ for example (you can create a new folder called update)

5) Connect to the ESXi with CLI (locally) or PowerCLI (remotely) and use the following command to update (like offline update) :

Example : "esxcli software vib update -d /update/Your_ZIP.zip"

Then reboot

6) Once the ESXi is rebooted, check the version with the command : "vmware -v" , it will give you the running version and build.

7) Boot your VM as usual Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.