VMware Cloud Community
Marka01
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Vsphere 6.0->6.7 and 6.5->6.7

Hello,

I am new to vsphere and would appreciate some help. I want to upgrade 2x vsphere host to latest 6.7 U1 version. Both are HP ProLiant 380 Gen9. Host 1 run 6.5.0 (Build 5310538) (image profile says (Updated) ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-standard). Host 2 - 6.0.0, 2494585.

I have downloaded this custom image 6.7 U1: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI67U1-HPE&productId=742

Can someone help with step by step process on the upgrade as I was unable to find out this in manual.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You have two options to upgrade the hosts:

1.) Do an interactive upgrade using the ISO-Image through iLO, or a burned CD-ROM.

2.) Upgrade from the command line

With the HPE offline bundle (.zip file) uploaded to a folder on a datastore, you can upgrade the hosts using the following command (assuming you don't have any additional/individual drivers/vibs installed):

esxcli software profile install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle-name.zip -p <profilename> --ok-to-remove --dry-run

Note:--dry-run can be used to evaluate what's going to happen without actually changing anything.

If the command's output looks as expected, run the command again without --dry-run, and if it completes successfully, type reboot to to reboot the host.

To find out the profile name for the upgrade command, run:

esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle-name.zip

Before upgrading ESXi, I'd suggest you upgrade the host's firmware using HPE's latest SPP.

André

0 Kudos