VMware Cloud Community
mistryasar12
Contributor
Contributor

Upgarde From 6.0 Build 2494585 to 6.7 build 14367737

We have two question.

1) We are planing to upgrade Vcenter and EXSI from 6.0 to 6.7 so no currently we have Vcenter running with version 6.0.0 build 2656760

and 4 EXSI host running version 6.0 Build 2494585, so can i upgrade directly from current version to latest version VCenter 6.7 build 14367737

and EXSI host version 6.7 build 14320388, Please correct me if i am wrong.

2)To upgrade the Vcenter i can go in place upgrade right means i ll use the same current vcenter server and i ll start the upgrade process. Please correct me.

Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated as usual , Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1. A direct upgrade from version 6.0 to 6.7 is supported for vCenter Server as well as for ESXi (see VMware Product Interoperability Matrices). However, prior to upgrading your systems, please ensure that your hardware is supported (see VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search)!
  2. The upgrade procedure depends on whether you are currently running vCenter Server for Windows, or the vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (vCSA). In any case, I'd recommend that you upgrade to the vCSA, because vCenter for Windows will not be available anymore in the future. You can directly upgrade/migrate to the vCSA using the deployment wizard, which will create a new VM, copy the vCenter data from the old system, and then shutdown the the old vCenter Server, and assume it's identity.

André

mistryasar12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Please let me know if i migrate from windows  Vcenter 6.0 to 6.7 VCSA appliance so i need to create additional VM with server 2012 and then i have to run the migration Wizard?

Please correct me

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, you don't need to prepare a VM.

The Migration wizard will create a new Linux based virtual appliance for you, and migrate the data (configuration plus optional data) from the current vCenter Server.

Keep in mind that the current vCenter Server will be shut down during the migration, so in case you do have other data/apps on it, you may need to migrate them off first.

Please take a look at the documentation, so that you don't miss one of the required migration steps.

André

SzDredd
Contributor
Contributor

Do mind that updating to 6.7 u3 (Build 14320388) may lead to non-working system (as in my case too - I had working 6.7u2) -  esxi cannot boot after updating to 6.7 u3! how to fix it?

0 Kudos