VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Updating VMware Tools

In the past I updated VMware Tools and each time restarted the guest OS.

Now I read on page VMware Knowledge Base  that I can force VMware Tools update without rebooting the guest OS.

I made some tests and I noticed that VMware tools look to be updated without rebooting the guest OS.

I am a little bit confused.

• Deos it mean that I can update VMware Tools without rebooting the guest VM?
  • Is rebooting the guest OS a best practice anyway?
  • What is the possible disadvantage of skipping guest OS reboot?ù
  • Should I schedule a reboot anyway (maybe late in the night)?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

as is stated in KB You mentioned:

"Windows guest operating systems generally require a reboot to load updated drivers. The ability to suppress a reboot is intended to accommodate coordination with other guest OS patching maintenance periods. A reboot should be performed as soon as feasible to benefit from the updated VMware Tools drivers."

Reboot is still required, but You can postpone it.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
Beingnsxpaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear MariusRoma​ Please find the answers to your questions.

• Deos it mean that I can update VMware Tools without rebooting the guest VM?

Answer : Yes you can update the binaries without rebooting the guest OS, however new updated binaries will be loaded in the next OS boot.

• Is rebooting the guest OS a best practice anyway?

Answer : Rebooting the guest OS after any patching be it VMware tools or OS patches is a good practice, as it helps OS to load all updated binaries.

• What is the possible disadvantage of skipping guest OS reboot?

Answer : If we do not reboot, we will have the updated binaries available but as they aren't loaded, we would not be able to use features/benefits which comes with them.

• Should I schedule a reboot anyway (maybe late in the night)?

Answer : You may schedule the reboot depending on the outage availability, however I follow the monthly patching window for the reboot of the guest OS. I update the binaries and reboot happens with the monthly patching maintenance window.

Regards

Pradhuman

VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, VCP2X-DCVNV

If my Answer resolved your query don't forget to mark it as "Correct Answer".

Regards Pradhuman VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, vExpert, VCP2X-DCVNV If my Answer resolved your query don't forget to mark it as "Correct Answer".
0 Kudos