VMware Cloud Community
WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updates / host patches do not install

Hello
I got the baseline in "Non-Critical Host Patches (Predefined)" as non compliant listet.
There are 5 updates listet:

WuGeDe_0-1627991396358.png

WuGeDe_1-1627980661766.png

If i start the installation those updates do not install.
I do not know why.
Install starts and ends without error or so.

What is the reason? Any suggestions?

Thanks for help.

@mod: if in wrong category pls move

My SR on the topic: 21244941608

Labels (1)
14 Replies
WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ticket opend at VMware support.  #21244941608
I will update asap.

neilburfoot
Contributor
Contributor

Glad its not just me then - same 5 updates won't apply.  I even moved the hosts out of a cluster just in case but still no joy.  Suspect its a vSphere 7 feature!

0 Kudos
MMTC
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.  I'd love to know what they say.

0 Kudos
WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay. Here is my solution.

First of all VMware has no solution for the problem yet. It will be fixed in a later release as the support wrote. Which one they could not tell.

We did it the following way:

I downloaded the latest version of the missing patch/vib to a shared datastore that is available to all the affected hosts.
Then I logged on via SSH to the affected hosts and installed it manually.
I had to install only the one that is the latest version then all others were gone too.

The line to enter in my case:

esxcli software vib update -v /vmfs/volumes/yourshareddatastore/intel-nvme-vmd-en_2.6.1.1001-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807_17797370/vib20/intel-nvme-vmd/INT_bootbank_intel-nvme-vmd_2.6.1.1001-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807.vib

Reference for the step by step guide is:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2008939

MMTC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for following up with us, WuGeDe.

0 Kudos
Doubletap
Contributor
Contributor

Just an FYI -

I created a baseline with just the "intel-nvme-vmd-en_2.6.1.1001-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807" driver in it.  The problem was resolved after remediation and reboot.

WuGeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not try that. 
But I will give it a shot next time I am facing that issue.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

I had other problem but the solution is same.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vSphere-Upgrade-Install/Host-Update-Fails-with-error-The-host-retu...

I could easily conclude that with LCM, vSphere Update manager was broken big time

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
wally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This fixed it for us as well, thanks.

0 Kudos
Tim_1
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a baseline with a single NVME driver worked for me as well.

Intel has a whole write up on how to manually install, setup, and use the drivers:  

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Intel_VMD_...

0 Kudos
RFPAUS
Contributor
Contributor

This solved it for us as well, thank you ! 

0 Kudos
vikest
Contributor
Contributor

Where did you download the file? I can't find it anywhere including vmware patch. Also, isn't Intel-Volume-Mgmt-Device_2.7.0.1157-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807 the latest version? Seems like they changed the name a bit, but it could be the latest version?

0 Kudos
RFPAUS
Contributor
Contributor

The latest version should already be in your lifecycle manager, you need to create a baseline with just that driver and apply it to the host, deploy it, and then your host should show in compliance. 

0 Kudos
mfirth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a simple guide somewhere for how to do that? (create a baseline with just one driver and deploy it to a host)

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos