VMware Cloud Community
DarkSaber
Contributor
Contributor

Update issues with OEM versions

Good Morning,

We have ESXi hosts built on Dell's OEM version of vSphere. Dell unfortunately has not kept up with the most recent updates so we are being forced to update directly from VMware. This is causing an issue with how the VIBs are signed and we are forced to 'force' update the VIBs. (Dell used a different naming scheme) Is there anyway around this? This is causing issues with enabling HA and updates. We are running 6.5. Please see CLI output below:

[root@VMLF01:/tmp] esxcli software vib update -v "/tmp/VMware_bootbank_vmware-fd

m_6.5.0-10964411.vib"

[DependencyError]

VIB QLC_bootbank_qedrntv_3.0.7.5.1-1OEM.650.0.0.4598673 requires qedentv_ver = X.0.7.5, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

VIB VMware_locker_tools-light_10.2.5.8068406-8312298 requires esx-version >= 6.6.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

VIB QLC_bootbank_qedf_1.2.24.0-1OEM.600.0.0.2768847 requires qedentv_ver = X.0.7.5, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

VIB QLC_bootbank_scsi-qedil_1.0.19.0-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585 requires qedentv_ver = X.0.7.5, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

Please refer to the log file for more details.

[root@VMLF01:/tmp]

[root@VMLF01:/tmp] esxcli software vib update -v "/tmp/VMware_bootbank_vmware-fd

m_6.5.0-10964411.vib" -f

Installation Result

Reboot Required: false

VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_6.5.0-10964411

VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_6.5.0-7515524

VIBs Skipped:

[root@VMLF01:/tmp]

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Dell regularly updates the customized ESXi images once new updates are released. You can find the current image (Build 10719125) at VMware ESXi 6.5 U2 | Dell US

You can either use the ISO image, or the .zip offline bundle to patch, or even upgrade hosts. The offline bundle can be used either from the command line (running e.g. esxcli software profile update ...), or you can upload it to the Update Manager, and patch the hosts using a patch baseline.

Regarding the .vib you are trying to install. Why are you trying to install this .vib manually? This .vib will be automatically installed by vCenter Server as soon as the host is added to an HA cluster, and exists Maintenance Mode.

André

0 Kudos
DarkSaber
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that link. The problem is that Dell released that 2 days ago. U2 came out in May from VMware.

When trying to enable HA it failed due to the VIB being unsigned. We had to manually do the update, per those commands, to get HA to enable correctly.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's interesting. I'm doing a lot of installations, updates, and patches for customers with servers from Dell as well as other vendors, but didn't run into such an issue yet.

Which vCenter Server version/build do you use, and what version/build are your hosts currently running on?

Btw. the image I mentioned is the Dell's 7th v6.5 build.

pastedImage_1.png

André

TimbukAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with a Dell System.  Even it you do update with the latest full image build from Dell the system still does not allow you to update it with the latest post image patches from command line or VUM.  I found that my system seems to have a corrupted /scratch location on the local SD device that the image is installed on.  I am going to try to see if I can re-create the scrtach partition and upload the missing data from a duplicate Dell server with 6.5u2 already installed and working properly to see if this fixes the problem.

0 Kudos