VMware Cloud Community
paulgarth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager (via webclient) - vSphere ESXi 6.7

System specs:

I have a new installation of vSphere ESXi 6.7 on Dell Hardware (PowerEdge R630) - Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630

Not using vCenter

Everything through web client

Haven't created any VM's yet

Using default root account (Administrator)

System message:

kb.vmware.com/s/article/55636

Note: I figured it was good to resolve this before going further with building VM's .  I've figured out where to get the patches, but now need to install them.

Issue with seeing Update Manager within web-client

The Update Manager is not showing within any tab

I've read the documentation and see something about needing privileges, but I'm having challenges finding exactly where to make a permissions change

Thanks for advice.

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're not using vCenter you don't have Update Manager. It's really that simple.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're not using vCenter you don't have Update Manager. It's really that simple.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

As daphnissov​ said, to use update manager is necessary the vCenter.

You can use esxcli to update your host.

VMware Knowledge Base

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

if you connect via Browser directly to the ESXi Host than you use the "Host Client".

The WebClient is the Flex(Flash) based Client which is used when you connect to the vCenter with your Browser. The new HTML5 Version which is also offerd by the vCenter is "vSphere Client".

As the others already answers .. you need the vCenter which brings the VMware Update Manager into the game and indeed you havent use the "Web Client" yet.

Regards

Joerg

paulgarth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. 

I was thinking I had an option of accessing everything via web-browser if didn't have vCenter.

I've been reviewing https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/vsphere-update-manager-671-install-administration-guid...

and thinking "vSphere Web Client" is how I'm currently accessing the Host EXSi, which is not the case.

Now I'm learning that vSphere Web Client is a web-portal method to access the required vCenter if you want things like Update Manager.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
paulgarth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification of the different clients, Joerg. 

Much appreciated.

Paul

0 Kudos
paulgarth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for additional insight of using CLI, Diego. 

Looks like I'm testing the boundaries of the free version - CLI vs. Update Manager.

I'm going to inquire with VMware about exact specs I would need for my basic setup and get a quote.

Thank you.

Paul

0 Kudos