VMware Cloud Community
HBMLinn
Contributor
Contributor

Unsupported or invalid disk type 22

Haven't dealt with VMware in 10 years. Maybe wrong group - please advise.

Customer A has an ESXi 6.5 server. Company B has an ESXi 6.7 server. Company B purchased part of Company A and they exported all the files for this VM from their datastre and sent to us. I imported these files into our datastore, created/registered an new VM looking at this VMX, and it shows in my VM inventory. When I try to power it on I get an error - "Unsupported or invalid disk type 22 for 'scsi0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported". See error and config print screens below. Everything I find says that probably Company A server is hosted or not ESXi, use VM Converter, or move VMDK to another datastore. Have tried moving to different datastore with same results.

Error mentions "imported". Is there more I need to do than go into Datastore browser and upload the VMDK into the appropriate VM directory alongside the VMX? Looking for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To be able to give you an advice, it's necessary to know how the VM's were exported, and how you imported them.

If e.g. the VM was exported as an OVF, the virtual disk file (.vmdk) is likely provided in a "stream-optimized" format, which cannot be used by simply uploading it to a datastore (except it's a vSAN datastore). In case of an OVF, you may use the import option from the vSphere Client to import the exported VM.

André

0 Kudos
HBMLinn
Contributor
Contributor

I think that is part of the issue. I was brought on to help facilitate because "corporate IT" didn't have time. Originally was told the Migration was from VMware to Hyper-V so I believe it was exported as an OVF. I tried to create using OVF; it allowed me to select the OVF file and VMDKK but then said no disk present. I ended up getting all files from original VM Datastore except the VMDK because I believed I already had it. It was delivered to me on a USB drive.

About an hour ago I tried to do an OVF creation again. Tasks still say it is running where before attempt it just failed. Going to monitor and hope it completes - so far optomistic. Appreciate reply and will advise when task completes.

0 Kudos