VMware Cloud Community
luky55
Contributor
Contributor

Understanding CPU related metrics in vsphere

Hi,

I have been looking for a good explanation of all the metrics available in the monitoring charts of vsphere, but so far did not find it, so I am asking here.

My problem is the following.

I am asked to produce for our application (running in Redhat 7.X)  a TPS/Ghz ratio, in other words, for 1 GHz given to a VM, how much TPS will I get.

So I looked in the monitoring charts, which gives 5 metrics in this area.

Here is what I see in the VM monitoring tab when it is under high load.

- CPU demand: 20300 MHz (almost constant)

- Entitlement: 17581 (totally stable)

- Demand to entitlement ratio: 115%

- Usage : 100% (totally stable)

- Usage in Mhz: 20400 MHz, (almost constant)

The guest OS gives me around 96% of CPU used (using top)

My VM is configured with 8 vCPUs, the host a 10 hyper-threaded physical cores running at 2397 MHz, so 20 logical cores.

I did not set any CPU or resource reservation for the VM, all VM settings are default.

1) Where the entitlement value of 17581 MHz comes from ?

2) Am I right to conclude that the real nb of MHz my VM is getting is 20400 MHz

3) If yes:

- Why is it slightly higher than the demand ?

- Am I right to say that each vCPU is in fact running at 20400/8 = 2550 MHz, so higher than the physical CPU frequency ?

4) Am I correct if I say that overall, the actual CPU used in this case is 96% of these 20400 MHz ?

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nicedev
Contributor
Contributor

The demand to entitlement ratio refers to the ratio of the virtual CPU demand to the virtual CPU entitlement, where the virtual CPU entitlement is the amount of CPU resources that can be allotted to a VM while the virtual CPU demand is the amount of CPU resources requests. When this ratio is greater than 1.0 or 100%, it means that the VM is requesting more resources that can be given to it.  A ratio that is lower than 1.0 or 100% means the VM is receiving the resources that it has asked from the host.

0 Kudos