VMware Cloud Community
nappyrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to upgrade or update vib after 6.7 -> 6.0 rollback

This weekend I updated an esxi 6.0 (dell customized) to 6.7 (also dell customized). Unfortunately I failed to realize that the latest nvidia driver for the grid K2 in the server only supported up to 6.5. I did a rollback to 6.0 in the recovery mode on esxi and attempted to upgrade to 6.5. I got an error during installation about the VMware_locker_tools-light_10.2.0.7253323-8169922 requires esx-version >= 6.6.0. I also get the same error even trying to update the nvidia driver on my 6.0 install

[root@vmhost-view01:~] esxcli software vib update -v /tmp/NVIDIA-vGPU-kepler-VMw

are_ESXi_6.0_Host_Driver_367.130-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib

[DependencyError]

VIB VMware_locker_tools-light_10.2.0.7253323-8169922 requires esx-version >= 6.6.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

Please refer to the log file for more details.

I'm sure this has to do with something leftover from when i upgraded to 6.7 but not familiar enough to begin to try fix. Do I need to also somehow roll back that vmware locker tools or at this point would rebuilding be easier?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you for sure whether the rollback will cause issues in the future, but what may be worth a try, is to do the v6.5 offline bundle installation from the command line using the esxcli software profile install ... command.

1. Upload the offline bundle to a folder on a datstore
  2. enable SSH on the host, and connect to it using e.g. putty
  3. Determine the offline bundle's profile name
    esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/>folder>/<Dell-Offline-Bundle.zip>
  4. Install the offline bundle, and allow to remove vibs that are not included in the bundleesxcli software profile install -d /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/>folder>/<Dell-Offline-Bundle.zip> -p <profile name> --ok-to-remove --dry-run

Note: "--dry-run" will show you what's going to happen, but not do anything. If everything looks as expected run the command without "--dry-run"

If that works, you should be able to install the Nvidia driver once the host has rebooted.

André

0 Kudos