VMware Cloud Community
dombrown2850
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to to unmount data store

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with removing old storage from our 3 ESXi hosts or rather one of them. I have since opened a ticket with support but thought I’d ask here in case it’s a common error or knowledge. I have inherited the ESXi setup.

We refreshing ESXi storage hardware nimble to Dell EMC I have so far migrated all of the VM’s to the new storage now removing the old storage from the ESXi hosts by first removing from inventory any VMS then unmounting the storage from each of the hosts. 2 of the host are fine and I have unmounted all 16 datastores fine. However, 1 host is only able to unmount from 5 of the datastores and errors on the others. I can't remove some files from these stores namely:

A folder called .sdd.sf and .VSphere-HA this folder has another folder called FDM-fXXXXXXX and inside this is a file called protected I have looked at this file and I think it is a reference to a volume/disk.

Example of the errors when trying to unmount datastores from the particular ESXi host.

________________________________________________________________________________

The "Unmount VMFS volume" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

The resource 'Datastore Name: MWRC_LUN_02 VMFS uuid: 58ab7355-b020c441-5bd4-141877384b74' is in use.

Cannot unmount volume 'Datastore Name: MWRC_LUN_02 VMFS uuid: 58ab7355-b020c441-5bd4-141877384b74' because "file system is busy". Correct the problem and retry the operation.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have looked to see if HA and heartbeat on the datastores but HA etc appears not to be configured. Can anybody shed any light on the matter I desperately need to decommission fully this old storage? Are there any best practice guides that discuss moving storage to new hardware. Any help suggestion on this matter truly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Scratch partition might have confirgured for one or more hosts on this datastore. Check following options for this host.

Select host> Configuration>'Advanced Settings' option. Find "ScratchConfig" and see if the path is referring to this data store. If yes, change to something else, reboot host and retry with unmount.

0 Kudos