VMware Cloud Community
laubry
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to ping from my ESXi host to outside network

Hi,

Sorry I'm sure others have posted with similar questions, and I read through a few but not finding the answer.  I have to believe it's something simple I'm missing.  So here goes.  In short I've tried two different approaches to get this to work.  I'm new to VMware and actually trying to build a Cisco CCIE Collaboration lab so it's been a bit of a learning curve with VMware and I'm sure I'm missing something simple or obvious.

On the left of the picture I have my home network connected to the Vnic0 Management port on my Host DL 380 server.  From the CSR1000v I can ping out without any issues to Google, but when trying to ping from my Win7 box on the other side of the CSR I can't.

On the right side of the picture is a similar setup, except it's all physical equipment up to the Host and VSwitch.  In this instance I created Vswitch1  and used physical nics 1 & 2 connected to it via trunking back to my 3560 layer 3 switch.  Now while trying to solve my issue I read a document that say I should have that Vswitch tagged as Vlan 4095, will definitely try that when I get back home.  Aside from that any assistance anyone can provide or best practices would be greatly appreciated.

I've also attached snapshots of the routing table of the Win7 machine from each of the scenarios.

If there's any additional information needed please feel free to ask.

Thanks you,

Lance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you please show some screenshots of your ESXi host's vSwitch topology and physical NICs? I'm finding your diagram difficult to follow, honestly.

0 Kudos
laubry
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply, I've attached the screen shots of what I believe you're asking for let me know if you need anything further.  I set the Vlan to 4095 per doc I read earlier today, and it doesn't appear to have made a difference.

Best regards,

Lance Aubry

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, still kind of a jumble. So which VMs on which port groups cannot talk outwards? Also, some points:

• Your vmnic0 attached as an uplink for vSwitch0 is only 100Mbps. That's not good and isn't typically supported. Why is this in use when you have a fourth vmnic unused?
  • Don't know what article you read, but setting VLAN 4095 on management isn't doing anything. You need to tag on the management vmkernel port.
  • On vSwitch1, change the team to only use one uplink during this time of troubleshooting to eliminate unnecessary complexity. Once things are working, test against the other uplink. Once both confirmed working, add to the same team.
0 Kudos
laubry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions I will reduce the vSwitch1 to a single Gig port and give it a try.  Will also adjust where I placed the 4095 tag. In answer to your questions see below:

1.) Neither scenario is able to ping outside from the VM host (Win7 machines).

2.) Why is the Vmnic0 is attached to an older 3650 Cisco switch which feeds all the equipment in my lab from my home network per the attached network drawing.  The drawing I just referenced is displaying the two troubleshooting efforts I have tried to get traffic to flow out.  From the diagram looking at the CSR router interface facing Vmnic0 I can ping out to 8.8.8.8.  From the Win7 box behind the CSR I can not ping outside.

3.) As for the diagram to the right same setup as the left from the ISP to my Cisco ISR 3900 router.  From there I'm just doing router on a stick to the 3560 switch, all my VLAN's are defined on the switch via SVI's.  I can ping between them, I can ping out to 8.8.8.8 (Google), I can ping my VM Hosts all from the switch.  Now if I try to ping from the VM Win7 machine to another device on a different Vlan that works.  I can ping through to the 10.10.10.2 which is my inside of my switch to my ISR.  I am unable to ping 10.10.10.1 which is the router side of the same interface to the outside world.

Thanks again for the help,

Lance

0 Kudos
laubry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here are the latest results from the requested changes.

0 Kudos
laubry
Contributor
Contributor

More screen shots hopefully they will help.

0 Kudos