VMware Cloud Community
hakhtar7
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to find the license purchasing options

I was trying to buy a license for my VMware ESXi 6.5.0 host/server machine. The state shown on the host's web is Normal (Not connected to any vCenter Server, I don't want to use that either). Right now the server is in evaluation mode (aprox. 30 days remaining). I tried logging-in to the myVMware account and searched for ESXi but didn't got any matching product names, there were some courses and upgrading things. Can someone please guide me to the process? Also, the free license key that is included as Hypervisor, Can I use that too? I am just running a host with 4 VMs and nothing else special but those VMs are serving the commercial purposes. I know the limitations of this Hypervisor license, and I am ok with that.

I know where to put the key after getting it, so please do not show me those links. I need to know the place where I can really BUY the license or if I can use the free one?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
patrickds
Expert
Expert

You can use the free Hypervisor license, if you're OK with the limitations like no support (except for community), and no backup API

If you want to buy a license, visit the store:

https://store.vmware.com/

For 1 host, Essentials kit is the cheapest option

You could also look for reseller near you, they are usually able to get you a cheaper deal than paying retail at the store.

0 Kudos
hakhtar7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for a quick response. For the limitations, I am not sure about the physical CPU count. I saw somewhere that free license includes 2 Physical CPUs, I just wanted to be sure if I understood that correctly. I am running the host in a machine with CPU settings as mentioned in the image attached below, does it mean I have 4 Physical CPUs or is it one with 4 cores?

cpu.png

And you mentioned that there won't be a backup API. What is this about?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

Physical CPU = socket

So you have 1 physical CPU package, with 4 physical cores, which results in 8 logical CPU's thanks to hyperthreading.

Backup api provides a mechanism to backup VM's through the hypervisor layer, instead of within the VM itself.

This way you can have faster backups and easier restores, with less perfomance impact.

More on that here:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1021175

0 Kudos
hakhtar7
Contributor
Contributor

So, if it says that I am limited to 2 Physical CPUs in free license, what does it mean? Am I safe to go for a free license and fully utilizing my server? Or 2 Physical CPUs mean 2 cores (out of 4 I have)?

The backup is not much needed right now.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Physical CPUs means physical Sockets. So with the free vSphere Hypervisor you should be fine.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
hakhtar7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses.. I want to read some official words or documentation that tells me if I can use the free hypervisor license to run my ESXi host and can use it for commercial purposes. And also the detailed documentation on limitation of the free license.. I read the summary on a forum which was not official so this doesn't satisfied me...

And finally, if I enter the license key to the ESXi host, will it warn me before disabling some feature that I am using or directly cut it off? Lets assume, if my machine has 2 physical CPUs and the free license is limiting me to use one.. Am I going to get warned?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you want something offical to read you should visit the official webpage vmware.com or better Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware and click on the see all buttom.

If you downgrading a ESXi license you always get a warning windows.  If youre currently  using a feature which isnt available within the downgrading edition the downgrade would be failed and the new license will not be applied.

Disclosure:

As a vmware parter we re selling vmware licences.

To find a vmware partner near you can try https://partnerlocator.vmware.com/ and give them a call.  The vmware shop always showing the sticker price without discount and depending where your living paying with a credit card is not common for a company.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos