VMware Cloud Community
aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to expand the hard disk in VMWare 6.5 - Greyed out

I shutdown the machine and tried to add more disk space and the GB section is greyed out. How can I add additional disk space (Hard Disk 2)

VM Greyed Hard.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you create a new snapshot first ?
If yes - then use the "delete all" next. "Delete snapshot" will not clean up  the false information in the vmsd-file

View solution in original post

12 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Does the VM have a active Snapshot?

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Joerg,

Thanks for the quick response. No, there is no snapshot. But, these VMs are running on Cisco UCS. So, is there a different way to add disk space using Cisco UCS instead of VSphere?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, there is no snapshot.

Don't rely on the Snapshot Manager.

Please double-check this by expanding "Hard disk 1", and "Hard disk 2". If the .vmdk names l look like "<vmname>-00000x.vmdk" then the VM has active Snapshots.

André

0 Kudos
aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMDK.PNG

So, does this say that it has a snapshot?

0 Kudos
aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this, Is this the snapshot that you were referring to. Can I go ahead and delete this directly?vmsnapshot.PNG

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes the VM is running under a snapshot but don’t delete the files directly. Firstly see if you can try a consolidation as outlined here: Consolidate Snapshots

If that doesn’t work then we might need to do it from the command line.

As with anything please make make sure you have a good backup. Fairly safe processes but it doesn’t hurt to have backups.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dont do that.
Instead create a new snapshot. And when that is created go to snapshotmanager and use "delete all" button.
After that you should be able to expand the vmdks.

0 Kudos
aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both. I have a question. As this is running on Cisco UCS. I was told that the snapshots should be taken only through Cisco UCS "Snapshot Now" option and not to use the VMWare Snapshot option. But, I was also told that you never delete a snapshot that was taken using UCS snapshot.

Just to add to the existing comment above. Since the snapshot was taken in UCS it will show as SENTINEL. Now, I was told not to delete the SENTINEL snapshot, which I am not sure unless someone with UCS expertise can help me. But, here is the screen shot. I right clicked and I had "Delete Snapshot, Delete All Snapshots". I am going to chose Delete snapshot. Any suggestions or thought before I do that. I will wait for response. As, I do not want to do something that would cause any issues.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you create a new snapshot first ?
If yes - then use the "delete all" next. "Delete snapshot" will not clean up  the false information in the vmsd-file

aa2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! Yes did it and was able expand the disk space.

0 Kudos
cloudsuresh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Take the snapshots using both the vendors.

Give priority to Cisco UCS.

0 Kudos
DanielLut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I came across this same issue.  After some time of investigating, the reason was finally found and it was actually easy in the end. There was a snapshot on this VM! I found that there had been a backup job running for a few days and was locked up and had not been checked. Solution found here - Cannot extend VMWare Disk in vSphere. Configuration greyed out. 

0 Kudos