VMware Cloud Community
Gennix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to edit vm, throws disk size error even though disk hasn't been changed

Hi Guys,

We have several clients running into this issue with the latest one being on ver 6.0u2. What happens is that I'll try to edit a VM, when I click OK even without changing anything, it throws the error "The disk capacity specified is greater than the amount available in the datastore". The datastore of the current one I'm working on is 500GB in size and the total amount committed + used was less than 400GB. It almost seems like it's not calculating the used space and only looking at the free space available.

I have been unable to find a solution for this. Does anyone have any hints on how I should go about resolving this issue?

Thanks,

Andy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the Web UI - assuming that is where you get the error - has been released with v6.0U2, and had several issues including similar issues as you describe.

If you can't upgrade to a current ESXi version, you may at least consider to update/patch the HTML5 Web Client (esx-ui).

For a download link, see e.g. https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.0.0.html

As an alternative you may use the Windows based vSphere Client.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If your clients are running anything like production workloads on 6.0 you should be recommending an upgrade to at least 6.5 so they are on a version which is still supported and updated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A datastore can run out of available blocks way before the complete size is actually used - you can check available resources with

vmkfstools -P -v10 /vmfs/volumes/datastorename

It would help to see a complete vmware.log - after the message popped up again.

Next time you see that error also inspect vmkernel.log - if the datastore is running out of available resources you will find hints to that in vmkernel.log

Do you use any procedures to keep your thin provisioned disks in good shape ?

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the Web UI - assuming that is where you get the error - has been released with v6.0U2, and had several issues including similar issues as you describe.

If you can't upgrade to a current ESXi version, you may at least consider to update/patch the HTML5 Web Client (esx-ui).

For a download link, see e.g. https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.0.0.html

As an alternative you may use the Windows based vSphere Client.

André

Gennix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful. The issue is resolved for the server I'm currently working on. I will apply it to other hosts and report back if they have other issues.

0 Kudos