VMware Cloud Community
gmcleveney
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create more than one Datastore

I am trying to create a second data store and getting an error "No devices with free space". The capacity of the drive is double than my current datastore. I am able to create only one datastore utilizing the entire capacity. Currently, I am trying to create 2 data stores and split the storage among the 2 datastores.

Appreciate any suggestion anyone can offer.

Hardware:UCS-C220-M5SX

ESXI ver:6.0.0.U3

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You can create 2 datastores on a disk/LUN from commandline - but all GUI functions assume that there is only one VMFS-partition per device.

So dont create 2 datastores - instead expand the VMFS to the full size

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Technically creating two datastore on a single LUN is not supported however its possible.

Try command line to do that

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

it's only possible to extend the existing datastore created on this LUN by vSphere Client.

However if you really need to do that, inside the Storage Array configuration of your server (based on vendor and server model) you can achieve this by creating multiple LUNs inside a single physical array. Then the ESXi can have two different datastore that are physically belong the a unique array of disks

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos