VMware Cloud Community
TrintechIT
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to assign license to ESXi Host

Hello all,

Please forgive me if this question seems silly, as I'm new to server/VM management and having to learn on the fly.  I am running into an issue with assigning a license to one of our ESXi hosts.  The license is applied on a host that has a total of 28 CPUs, and it's got VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus.  We have another host that has 16 CPUs, and yet when I try to apply the same license I get an error message:

"This host has more CPU resources than the provided license is valid for, please provide a different license."

Am I missing something here?

For a bit of context, I've set up our corporate VM infrastructure for backup and replication via Veeam.  However, two of our backup jobs were failing stating "Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation."  Upon investigating, the license on the hosts (set up by me after moving into our new office) was not the VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus version on our other hosts.  When I pulled the key I needed, I was able to apply it to one of our hosts, run the backup and it was completed successfully.  When I tried to apply it to our other host, it's giving the error about the CPU resources, even though it has less than our host with 28 CPUs.  I'd greatly appreciate any insight or assistance into this problem.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When you say "CPUs" I assume you're actually talking about "Cores"!?

ESXi licensing is based on CPU sockets, i.e. physical CPUs. With vSphere 7.x, VMware introduced a license limit for up to 32 Cores/CPU, which however is not relevant in this case, since you're still on v6.x.

How many CPUs sockets do your servers have, and how many licenses (license capacity) do you have?

André

0 Kudos
TrintechIT
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my apologies, I was referring to cores.  However, the license in question is deployed on single and double socket servers in our infrastructure so I don't think that's the issue.  As far as the license capacity, I don't know that off the top of my head and will have to find out.  But I'm very confident that we have more than enough capacity to manage to add one more host.  Any other thoughts on what could be preventing the license from being applied?

0 Kudos
Heathster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TrinTech

Did you managed to solve your issue

0 Kudos