VMware Cloud Community
FTeupke
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 20.04 Template deactivates network adapter

Hello,

I have observed a really strange behaviour, where Templates I create from Ubuntu Server 20.04 VMs will automatically disconnect the Network Adapter when deployed.
I make sure to check "Connect" and "Connect at Power On" in the creation wizard every time.
The Ubuntu VMs I created the templates from were deployed using the Ubuntu Cloud OVA, but I have since observed the same behaviour with VMs I manually installed from the Ubuntu Server ISO.
I'm running vSphere 7 with vCenter 7.0.1 and ESXi 7.0.0.

Has anyone observed similar behaviour? I saw some reddit thread describing the same behaviour the other day, but can't find it now.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Greetings, Felix

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SirWobbyTheFirs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this too on a 6.7 installation, the network adapter is brought up during boot up and I can see the IP address show up in VMware Workstation as the VM boots but then once it gets to the login screen, the network adapter is disconnected and I have to do sudo ip link set ens192 up to bring the interface back up and it persists until a reboot at which point it's gone.

Can we can get some feedback please instead of just being ignored?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@SirWobbyTheFirs 

Moderator: Please note that vSphere and Workstation are very different products so the root cause of your issue may be different to that of the original poster. Note also that VMTN is a user/community forum, not any kind of official support mechanism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos