VMware Cloud Community
pravinharke
Contributor
Contributor

UUID for network in VMware.

As there is no UUID for network (object) in VMware, then how can one identify the network uniqueness as there is option to rename the network label?

My Usecase:

Currently I store network info in db based on it's name. As one can rename the network label therefore I don't have way to identify whether the old and renamed network is same.

For VM there is UUID attribute from which I can identify the vm uniqueness, but for network there is no such attribute.

One way is to use moref id, but I don't found any VMware KB article which gives guarantee that moref id is not change across life of entity. (i.e. it stay there even after vcenter upgrade, after restoring the vCenter database from a backup , after host  re-register)

Other scenario where  moref id is not relabel for uniqueness:

During upgrade one can create new vCenter vm, then replace the existing vCenter vm by shutting down the old vCenter vm and giving same fqdn  to new vCenter VM. Manually re-register all host in new vcenter VM.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

MorefIDs do not change for these objects for the life of their existence within the same vCenter. HOWEVER, if you had a vSS (which is host specific) and then removed and readded that very same host to inventory, the id would change. This is one example.

0 Kudos