VMware Cloud Community
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB support on Host

Im trying to add a hard drive to a dell pweredge r720, its a 3.5' drive so we are trying to use a Sata to USB 3.0 connection for it. The host is running ESXi 5.5 but when we attach the drive to the physical server we don't see it anywhere in vSphere, we've tried rescanning the host a few times but we still dont see anything. When I plug in a usb cd burner I can see it under storage devices under the USB Controller. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Those USB bridge adapters usually don't work with ESXi. If it's not showing up with lsusb and ESXi doesn't recognize it, only thing you can try is to use a different model. That aside, it's also certainly not supported.

bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was thinking it wasn't supported but at the same time I thought for sure i'd plug it in and it would show me the disk and boom a new datastore. It's never that simple ha. I know it recognizes that a usb is plugged in, I can see it in the event when I plug it in and unplug it, "usb configuration has changed" but other than that it shows nothing.

0 Kudos
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so i was able to stop the usb arbitrator and attach the disk to an ESXi 6.0 host and it recognized it, however it shows the disk as 0 GB when its a 4TB drive with ~2TB of data on it. I can't do anything with the disk either, If i try to create a datastore it shows 0 disks/luns available for that host. Any guesses?

0 Kudos