VMware Cloud Community
ppan48711
Contributor
Contributor

UEFI Secure Boot and OVAs

Are there any guidelines for creating and subsequently deploying OVAs with UEFI secure boot enabled and that include the guest's NVRAM file in the OVA?

I've hit a few issues deploying OVAs that have secure boot enabled such as:

• Upon import of an OVA in vSphere I get errors such as: Details: - 249:7:VALUE_ILLEGAL: vmw:ExtraConfig element ''nvram''
  • When deploying OVAs set to use secure boot and EFI but do not include an NVRAM file, I'll see it occasionally boot up to a secure boot security violation but if I then go and disable and re-enable UEFI secure boot in the guest's settings, I'm able to boot.

I'm running ESXi 6.7 build 8170161 and using vSphere Client 6.7.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My experience with OVF/OVA is regrettably little.  Are you using a version of ovftool which corresponds with your ESXi and vSphere versions?  (That's about all I can think of on the OVF side of things...)

I can say though that the NVRAM is an important part of any EFI VM, and particularly so when Secure Boot is enabled.  I have not tried deleting the NVRAM for a Linux guest booting through the Linux guest Secure Boot shim, but a security violation screen is probably what I would expect to see until the guest has the opportunity to reconfigure its Secure Boot shim.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ppan48711
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

Yep, I've using a 4.x something version of ovftool that corresponds with my vSphere/ESXi environment.

To your point, the NVRAM file is core to this functionality so it's odd to me that I'd have to allow it to reconfigure itself/disable/renable secure boot for it to work.

0 Kudos