VMware Cloud Community
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two vCenter Clusters to One vCenter with all Hosts License Migration

Hello vCenter Community, hope everyone is well.

I'm trying to review requirements for a future maintenance to combine two vCenter clusters "2 hosts each" to one vCenter "VCSA 6.7" cluster with four hosts.

We have two clusters because one was being ordered when the new expansions required a second set.  Both orders were for one vCenter VCSA with up to three hosts.

The new license will be for the Enterprise version with one vCenter/VCSA with up to eight hosts.

My guess is to complete the following:

1.  Complete backups/snapshots of all devices and VMs

2.  disassociate all hosts from their vCenter/VCSA managers.

3.  Re-license the first vCenter.  If this is not possible create new vCenter and license it.

Question:  Can we just relicense one of the current VCSA 6.7 VM's to manage all VMs?  Do we have to create new?

4.  Join all hosts one at a time to the new VCSA 6.7 manager.

5.  Capture new backups/snapshots of all devices and VMs

Are there any other considerations I should be aware of?  These changes will allow us to start using distributed switches and DRS to name two things.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes. Its a simple license key swap. No Reboot is needed.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to the wider vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to be able to give you an advice, please answer the following questions:

• which version, and edition do you have currently licensed for the two environments?
  • why - if you have 4 hosts - would you want to purchase licenses for 8 hosts for the new setup?
  • which license are you going to purchase (Enterprise isn't available anymore)?

I'm asking this because there may be less expensive options availabe.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

He referrers to "distributed switch" so i think he mean  "ESXi Enterprise Plus" rather than "ESXi Enterprise".

Depends on what you have there are upgrade paths for the existing licenses and with some luck you maybe reuse your existing vCenter license.

About vCenter.  Your need "vCenter Standard" which support to manage >= 5 Hosts. If you have another vCenter you need an upgrade or new version.

vCenter Standard = More than 4 Hosts (ESXi Std,Enterprise, EnterprisePlus)

vCenter Foundation = Up to 4 Hosts (ESXi Std,Enterprise, EnterprisePlus)

vCenter Essentials = Up to 3 Hosts (ESXi Essentials only)

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Joerg,

Thanks for the expanded explaination.  Ever since EMC and now Dell has bought out VMware I don't have a grasp on what the new licensing were being called yet.

We had purchased two (vCenter Essentials) licenses and now we are going to upgrade to (vCenter Standard) with (ESXi Enterprise (Plus)) I think.  If not it's Enterprise.

The reason I don't know is because our Configuration Manager is out for a few days and he has the actual license information.

I now remember he said (More than 4 Hosts).

André,

The only information that I haven't answered is about the 4 hosts.  Before the license change I wanted to reconfigure our NAS to be an ESXi 6.7 host. That and we want to be able to expand beyond the current (5 if you add the NAS).

Additionally we want to be able to use Distributed Switches over standard and implement DRS.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well.... do you have Essentials ($500) or Essentials Plus($3500)?

I ask because of the following reason. There is only one upgrade path when youre comming from a essentials which is an "Accelerator Kit" Standard or Enterprise Plus. The later one contains vDS and DRS and all the fun stuff.

VMware "return" a small amount of money for your existing license and for a Essentials it doesnt make sense. For a Essentials Plus it makes a little bit more sense as long as you have active SnS left.

• You can buy Accel.Kit Enterprise Plus also without the Upgrade path
  • The Accel. Kit always contains 6 ESXi CPUs and 1 Instance of vCenter Standard (unlimited Hosts)
  • You could by additional ESXi Enterprise Plus single licenses to reach your 8 Hosts or more
  • One Accel. Kit purchase per customer
  • You should be eligible for CPP (former VPP) = Additional Discounts!
  • You should ask your local VMware Partner rather than DellEMC (makes only sense if your would like to buy OEM together with PowerEdge/vxRAIL)
  • Your VMware Partner would register a Project .... additional Discounts!

If you tell me what you have i can take a look for the needed SKUs in my price book.  You have to make a decision about your SnS (Basic or Production) and if you would like to take 1 or 3 years. The later one comes with 12% discount. There is no 2Y option available when buying new licenses.

Regards,

Joerg

Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've got an email into my Configuration Manager.  I'll have to update this post after I find out.  I think he comes in tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The information I received shows we moved from Essentials Plus to Enterprise Plus

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Upgrade: Ess+ -> Accel.Kit Enterprise + and 3Y Prod SnS

Additional: 2x ESXi Enterprise+ CPU Lic and 3Y Prod SnS

Gives you vCenter Std. and 8x 1 CPU ESXi E+ = 4 dual Socket Hosts.

sku.png

it is possible to select Prod -> Basic SnS or just get 1Y instead 3Y.  If you have a need for more CPU/Hosts increase the number for Pos. 3 and 4.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally got the information I needed.  We are migrating from two "vCenter Server Essentials 6 and four vSphere 6 Essentials hosts (2 each)" to one "vCenter 6 Standard with four vSphere Enterprise Plus hosts "4 hosts with 2 CPU each".

Can there be a direct upgrade from vCenter Server Essentials 6  to vCenter 6 Standard?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes. Its a simple license key swap. No Reboot is needed.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos