VMware Cloud Community
ylafont22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two Networks NIC/Routes

I am hoping to get general guidance on  how to setup two NICS  on two separate networks. My ideal goal is to create multiple subnets on each  segment. I have notice that the default gateway of 10.100.20.254 used on the first configured NIC is being used as the default for the second NIC

The ESXi  contains two NICS connected to two different vans (VLAN 11 and VLAN20) on  a external switch.

vshpere1.png

vshpere2.png

I have create a standard switch and two port groups (PG11 and PG12 ) on the second NIC.  i have also created a VM  on PG11  and cannot ping past the vswitch.

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

what did you set as a subnet in the virtual machine?

I think you should put 255.255.224.0

Usable Host IP Range:10.100.0.1 - 10.100.31.254

Esempio di configurazione VSS:

Prima VMware IT academy in italia

1) A standard switch with only one uplink. The switch is used only for the VM1.

2) A standard switch without uplink that allows only internal traffic between virtual machines on the same ESXi host and on the same vswitch. VM2 and VM3 can communicate with each other.

Port Group Configuration for Virtual Machines

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please do not mix up VMKernel port groups and Virtual Machine Port groups.

VMKernel Port groups are user by ESXi (i.e. the operating system) itself, whereas Virtual Machine Port Groups are used to connect VMs.

If you want to have multiple subnets (VLANs) on the same physical uplink, this uplink has to be setup as 802.1q port ("tagged port" for most switches, "trunk port" for Cisco switches).

André

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You have created a vmkernel type port group with VlanID 11 and a virtual machine port group with VlanID 11. This is not good, you have already created the vmkernel port group for management using one of the two network cards. On the second network card you have to do all the port groups you want but "virtual machine" type with all different VlanIDs.

A. Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos