VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Transferring migrate datastore or vMoniton storage

Hi,

in a VMware cluster the transfer (migrate) of the data that is in a datastore connected via iSCSI or SAS in a storage occurs in the network of the (VM Network) correct?

In the case of (vMoniton Storage) it occurs through the vMoniton network or (VM Network).

When I say (VM Network) it is because (Managment) is connected to the same vNICs.

I understand that if I had dedicated vNICs or with VLAN configured, the traffic would occur through that vNIC or VLAN (Managment).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can configure VLAN for vMotion network. Networking Best Practices for vSphere vMotion 

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @sandroalvesbras ,

Read-write of data to the disk will happen through the vmkernel on the host that is configured for iSCSI. 

vMotion of a VM will happen through vMotion network depending where this option is enabled. If the physical NIC used for ESXi management is also enabled for vMotion, then vMotion will use this vmkernel. If you have a dedicated NIC for vMotion, then that interface will be used for vMotion.

VM network is only used to get connectivity to a VM. Let's not confuse VM network with vMotion, management and storage network. 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon.

grateful for the answer.

If my network is not going to work with VLAN in this case an L2 switch.

I mean I have four physical NICs in one vSwitch0 and one vKernel for managing ESXi and in this same vSwitch0 I have another vKernel for vMotion.

You are telling me that all vMotion access traffic will also compete with the same physical NICs as management. This is not a problem at first.

But if my VMs are also connected to this same vSwitch0, all traffic is mixing. Even if I dedicate physical NICs as they are on the same physical switch without a VLAN, it's no use.

Would it be a good practice to dedicate physical NICs for vMotion connected to the same physical switch? Does this guarantee that traffic will only occur through these NICs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can configure VLAN for vMotion network. Networking Best Practices for vSphere vMotion 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos