VMware Cloud Community
Arnel101
Contributor
Contributor

Transfer Data from VM to Physical Server both connected to SAN using RDM Disk

Transfer Data from VM to Physical Server both connected to SAN using RDM Disk.

Dear Administrators,

Just a query to my case:
We do have a SAN Infra in place and a VMWare Infra in place.
I have a copy speed issue with VM data to Windows Physical Server, so it came to my mind that allotting a RDM (Raw Disk Mapping to VM ware Virtual Machine). and copy the file in the RDM Drive.
Action Plan:
1. Create a Virtual Volume from SAN
2. Present to SAN Virtual Volume to VMware Cluster as an RDM including detection and acess.
3. From VMware Scan and Add storage to the cluster (Formatted with NTFS not sure if this step will work)
4. Windows Virtual Machine will access the RDM volume.
5. Copy the data from VMware to the RDM drive until finish.
6. Disconnect the RDM from Virtual Machine and also VMware infra as a Drive.
7. Present the previously utilized RDM drive to a Physical Windows Server.
8. Scan the drive and attached to Windows with Drive Letter assignment like drive Z:
9. From Windows Physical Server Copy or backup the the data from previously used RDM Disk now Drive Z.

Apologies for the log plan of action, for all the above matters may you guys help me if this activity will be achievable and a considered work around?
Doing above step, will the data from the RDM drive accessible, usable by Windows Server environment or there will be a File System compatibility between VMFS to NTFS?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for vSphere, now that I have reported it, since this doesn’t seem to have anything to do with App Volumes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog