VMware Cloud Community
FrancisAugusto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Traffic between vlan trunk and vlan distributed port groups not flowing

Hi,

I have a distributed port group set up as a vlan trunk, and connect it to a firewall. The vlan range is 200-300.

I created another dpg for the vlan 201.

However, vm's connected to these port groups cannot ping each other. I configured a vm with a vlan-interface and connected it to the vlan trunk dpg, but it still can't communicate with the vm's on the vlan 201 dpg.

Anything I'm missing here? I know that having dog's with the same vlan works, but does it work as well with a trunk dpg?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FrancisAugusto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I fixed it. The thing is that the vlan I created was not provisioned on the physical switch, so it wasn't on the uplink trunks - I guess that's what prevented it to work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you create portgroup with trunk, then you need to use VGT - virtual guest tagging.

Did you tagged vm interface connected to the trunk pg in the VM's OS ?

0 Kudos
FrancisAugusto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes. I created a vlan Interface on ubuntu 20.04. I assume that it tags traffic on the vlan interface.

0 Kudos
FrancisAugusto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I fixed it. The thing is that the vlan I created was not provisioned on the physical switch, so it wasn't on the uplink trunks - I guess that's what prevented it to work.