VMware Cloud Community
tickermcse76
Contributor
Contributor

Time drift due to CPU contention (KB 1318)

There is a VMWare KB Article, 1318, which states high contention of CPU and memory resources can lead to time drift for a guest Windows OS.  This is also a known issue for Windows OS (independent of virtualization and VMWare) as the time service was not built to be highly accurate pre-Windows 2016.

I'm currently working on a highly oversubscribed environment where time drift does occur.  Is there any logging or debugging I can enable on the VMWare side to detect and report that VM resource contention is a contributing factor?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, all the Time Drift related logs can be found in /var/log/vmkernel.log file..

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

I don't think you will find any entry which clearly states that the time drift is due to CPU resource utilization.

you should find the messages in vmkernel regarding time drift but I don't think it will state its due to over subscription or resource available.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos