VMware Cloud Community
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

“There are no free physical adapters to attach to this virtual switch”.

Hello all,

Before you quickly answer " Just go to https://my.vmware.com. and get updated software it dosen't work because I would need a paid version though a vender or have admin account to access it when I talked to VM support.  The version I have is from VMug (Paid) with Enterprise Lic ESXi 6.7 update03-14320388.

I am using Workstation15Pro and I have tried manually adding via SHH with command: esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic1 --vswitch-name=vSwitch0.  This dosen't work. This issue also was confirmed with ESXi 6.5u1 and the fix was getting this .vib file.

I spent hours Googling the fix there is no solid solution other then the command that dosen't work and the vib file I don't don't have access to or don't know where to find it.

Trouble shooting.

• Created two ESXi 6.7 and 6.5 doing the same thing.
  • reset and recreated all virtual workstation networking
  • Resetting or restoring the standard switch.
  • Tried on another computer.
  • Reinstalling Workstation.

At this point I'm not sure if this issue is because of needing a update or bundle.

Hopefully someone can explain in baby talk what the solution is because I'm fairly new at this.

Thank you in adavnce.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So if I understand this correctly, neither the UI, nor the CLI works? Correct?

Please attach the ESXi VM's configuration (.vmx) file to your next reply, and explain which .vib file you have in mind when you say "... and the fix was getting this .vib file".

André

0 Kudos
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

Hello A.P and thanks for your quick response.

The .vib I was talking about is ether a patch or update that looks like this but would be for ESXi 6.7.  esxui-signed-7119706.vb

Here are some links with some helpful links of the same issue

https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2017/09/vmware-esxi-6-5-update-1-there-are-no-free-physical-adapte...

https://www.pei.com/vmware-esxi-6-5u1-fix-no-free-physical-adapters-attach-virtual-switch/

I just wanted to say that VMware make it really hard to get any support on the free versions of ESXi. I tried cross refrences build versions according to bugs and it seems no one is having problems with version 6.7 like 6.5 did which that .vib above was the fix but don't know where it's located.

Many thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Issues like this can often be resolved by clearing the browser cache. Especially when connecting to different UI versions, or after updates.

Anyway, you can find direct links to the officially released ESX-UI .vib files at e.g. https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.7.0.html (from the "Tracker view"). According to the .vmx file, you've installed build 14320388 which contains the latest available ESX-UI.

André

0 Kudos
Kev_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so you have Workstation 15 Pro, and you are deploying ESXi 6.7 U3 as a nested VM. The VM you have created is connected to VMNet8, and is using a vmxnet3 adapter. I'm not by my Windows machine to validate in Workstation, but as a suggestion have you tried one of the nested ESXi appliances from William Lam's blog? This should rule out any funkiness in terms of VM configuration.

With that said, that error message in a Windows side error, which suggests something on your Workstation host is causing this issue. If you check your network connections in Windows do you see the VMNet8 network? This is normally the virtual network used for bridging in Workstation.

0 Kudos
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Kev,

I took what you said and removed Workstation and installed version 11.1.4. By the way im testing this on two diffrence computers with the same out come using diffrent host VMnets with and without NAT.

I seem to more confused  which is easy for me. Now I was able to create another vswitch via command line suppecting the GUI being the problem which didnt work the first time but the 2nd time it did clearing the cashe. I'm ok with that. I used IE then tested chrome before I did so Its the browser that's the problem.

Now since Im a newbie at this I will need to learn the command line for this. Just Great!  I have a question! Is there a particular oreder in which I create the connections once I created the vSwitch?

Shows UPlink.PNG

Many thanks for the support and have a greate day.

0 Kudos
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

Many Thanks A.P.

I was going nuts till reading what you sent made more sense then anything I have read in the past few days.

Thanks

0 Kudos